Saturday, March 20, 2010

On Rainbows

I have a rainbow tie. It's a nice tie, a silk tie. My dad has seen this tie, and he mentioned he'd like to borrow it someday. I have a rainbow hat, a rainbow bracelet with "live proud" stamped into the side, even rainbow pants.
I wonder why it has never entered my parents heads that their daughter might be gay. It's not that they're oblivious to the gay community, more like oblivious to my obvious membership. And I do mean obvious. All my friends knew at least a year before I could bring myself to tell them. By the time I was able to admit it, they had long since accepted it as fact.
Which brings me back to wondering how my parents have managed to miss all the little clues, the equality stickers, pride paraphernalia, posters of girls hung around my room, or, you know, the girlfriends.
Hmm... It's quite a puzzle.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they just want you to tell them.

    I have a similar relationship with my father - however MUCH more obvious. I told my mom right away the first summer home from college. And she told my dad sometime between then and now. Yet we've never talked about. I've never told him. When I was dating my girlfriend, he knew who she was, etc. I asked my brother why my dad's never said anything and he told me he's just waiting for me to feel comfortable enough to tell him. I'm not quite sure why I haven't told him yet. Perhaps because I'm still young and in that dating phase (meaning lifelong relationships aren't really in my eyesight right now whether they be with women or men). Everything has a time... I'm not too worried about not having told him personally. It's all about comfort.

    ReplyDelete